24 July 2007

Addicted to 'The Space'

It seems that the days of people using pen and paper to communicate are completely finished. With a vast amount of jobs requiring a PC, more and more people are becoming computer literate. They are now using the machines for all sorts, including to keep in contact with people. E-mail has been around for a long time now and was once the popular form of reaching somebody via the net. However, in the recent years there have been several ‘community’ sites launched which appear to be overtaking this type of messaging.

I personally have been drawn into the new phenomenon that is ‘Facebook’. Checking my personal messages, who’s written on my wall and updating my ‘status’ has become as normal to me as brushing my teeth in the morning. There is not a day goes by where I don’t turn up to work early to log into the site. It’s fast, easy and is the simplest, way that I know of, to keep in contact with everyone.

So what is it that has led us to this way of non-personal and quite lazy form of communication? It appears to me that everyone is now too busy with work and social lives to make time for a phone call, or even a visit to family and friends. Therefore, this medium is a fast and effective way of keeping in touch and up to date with what is going on in people’s lives. Arguably, it’s not the best way to keep in touch but it is definitely something I will be addicted to for a long time yet!

3 comments:

GateGipsy said...

I find it a great way to keep in touch with people that you see a lot! I know that sounds wierd, but once you leave school you don't have that daily contact anymore. Gone are the days when you spend hours talking during the day, then on the school bus, then call each other when you get home! Facebook is a really quick and easy way to do just that again - or that's how it feels to me!

Terri Lakin said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog and your interest in this topic.

Terri

Joe Dawson said...

What's facebook?