16 October 2007

You Want Fries With That?

The swift technological advances that are occurring in everyday life still continue to amaze me. With these new tools and resources, comes the realisation that those who don’t embrace this new computer-driven way of life will surely be left behind at a severe disadvantage.

An example of this technological intrusion popped up last weekend when I was faced with the simple task of ordering a pizza. After over-indulging the night before, a group of friends and I were craving a quick and easy, grease filled treat and unanimously agreed that a slice of pizza or five would hopefully appease the little man determined to use his jackhammer on our delicate temples.

A half hour pre-discussion on what toppings, extras, drinks etc everyone preferred had already taken place, so all that was left to do was pick up the phone and dial.

After locating my mobile phone and the required phone number (speed dial #3), I was all set to go. I hadn’t even made it through the recorded introductory message before I was informed by my technologically suave friend that everything was ordered, the confirmation email had been received and an e.t.a of 30 minutes was given for the pizza god’s drop off. With just a click of the mouse and a tick of the box our culinary delights were ordered online before I had even spoken to a real live person!

Even in my fragile state I was able to marvel at this online wonderment. It seems more and more consumers are turning to online means to take care of everything from grocery shopping to purchasing overseas properties.

Online learning is another great example of the technological progression that is taking place in today’s society. Eager participants can now complete courses and gain qualifications online, eliminating travel restrictions, extra cost, and a number of other variants that have the potential to contribute to a student’s reluctance to seek further education.

So it seems to me the technological arm reaches far and wide and is impacting the daily running of our lives on a huge scale. The choice is left up to the consumer; we can either participate in this ever-advancing notion and take advantage of the conveniences it offers, or simply stick to the old way of life and make do with what we’ve got.

So what will it be folks…..eat in or takeaway?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome article - I agree

I'll take away please!